Question:
Bastard sword vs. Katana?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Bastard sword vs. Katana?
Ten answers:
2008-07-29 21:10:37 UTC
I would give it to the bastard sword.

Even though its shorter than the longsword. the leverage incurred by it is significantly greater than the katana. The bastard sword is not only a slicer and stabber. it can smash pretty effectivy to. Something the katana cannot do. The power behind each stroke will rattle the katana user if the blades clash continuolly. I think the katana wielder will win based upon the swordfighting style used as superior.But the performance of blade will go to the bastard sword.

It strong enough not to break. short and light enough to prevent fatigue. But concentrates alot of power.

However. just something for you to ponder about.

The rapier and epee are both extremly weak blades and hold nothing to the japanese katanas. Yet they are the most effective dueling swords ever created. There are accounts of duels bettween katanas and and fencers and the fencer almost always comes out on top. I like the scenario you pick. it seems pretty fair. But we have to understand the katana is overated...people make it out to be the ultimate sword. I believe the duel is totally dependent on the style and the sword working together. The epitome of that is fencing.

I would argue that the rapier is the weakest sword but probably the most deadly.

But hey...im a fanboy of the katana...its pretty badass. But when it comes down to it the weapon is an allaround weapon. Some might see that as a strength. But it has no particular strengh itself, which leaves it prey to any weapon that has somethng really strong goign for it. With longswords its power strokes. With the rapier is the ever so deadly thrust.

But the katana is only good all around. Guess thats what makes it such a popular choice.

I guess me being right or wrong is dependent on one thing, Is an all around sword better. or a specialized sword.

i hope this helps and expands your thoughts on the matter

please rate and thank you.
?
2016-11-16 12:15:47 UTC
Bastard Sword Length
?
2016-03-18 09:18:59 UTC
If the people were the same build and ability, I would sadly have to say the katana. Though bastard swords are an incredibly powerful weapon, they are traditionally rather heavy. This would provide an advantage to breaking a katana's guard. Katanas, however, are made of amazingly worked metal. This makes them very light, but very dense. The bastard sword might get a few good swings in, but the katana would ultimately win because of its speed.
2008-07-31 19:32:21 UTC
Assuming they are "exactly the same" the katana, it has better reach. Also the bastard sword is much more heavy. Therefore the one with the bastard sword would be much more limited to movements, and cuts.
Army ROTC Cadet Beckman
2008-07-29 21:27:39 UTC
I think the katana would have the advantage. It's weight and length and pretty much everything about it is perfect for speed. when a good fighter uses the tip of that thing with a proper slice, there is no way to survive that one (unless you block with a sword, of course). I watched a martial arts instructor (,the best one I've ever seen,) Demonstrate how fast that thing is. Only a well trained fighter can block a katana.
Annoymous.
2008-07-29 21:20:19 UTC
katana its the ultimate weapon with good flexibility and length
.
2008-07-29 21:00:09 UTC
Katana! It can take up to 7 (.50 cal) bullet rounds!

Type katana vs .50 machine gun on youtube
Bujinkan Ninja
2008-07-30 00:42:41 UTC
Katana. It's lighter and more techniques can be performed with it such as Battojutsu.
South R
2008-07-29 20:56:32 UTC
Probably the katana. I think they were made a little stronger, on average, than most other swords. The bastard sword would probably break before the katana, therefore the wielder of the katana would win.
2008-07-30 04:27:32 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFQ4aanmupU&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vleC5-tvx4

Check out those two vids. I have to say I would always prefer a double edge over a single edge, I also don't think the katana is that great for thrusting.

A sword is as much a product of it's society and intended use as the blacksmiths skills, what armour will it encounter and will it be used on horseback are some of the types of things you should consider when looking at the pros and cons of sword types.